Python2.2 Installation

Joel Bender jjb5 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 20 12:30:28 EST 2002

I downloaded and almost installed Python 2.2 from the Python-2.2.tgz
release on SF by doing the 'usual "gunzip; tar; configure; make" dance'.
I now have a Python-2.2 directory which seems to work by itself.

Now I'm trying to add the pyserial-1.12 extensions by using distutils
and getting the following error:

    distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError: invalid Python
installation: unable to open /usr/local/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile
(No such file or directory)

So how do I complete the installation so that Python2.2 is at least in
/usr/bin?  How do I replace the 1.5.2 installation that came
preinstalled (which is in /bin)?

Joel