need to safely spawn subshells from multithreaded server - how?

Greg Weeks weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com
Tue Mar 5 19:02:11 EST 2002

Thilo Ernst (Thilo.Ernst at dlr.de) wrote:
: Somehow I was much more lucky in digging the web today, so after more
: reading up I give a preliminary answer to my own question. Perhaps this
: might help other people running into the same problem.  It would be nice in
: this regard if any thread/fork experts would assess whether the situation
: is correctly summarized below.

I'm glad you pursued this.  In the past few years, I have on three
completely independent occasions needed to implement a server process that
forks subprocesses and waits for their completion in separate threads.
I've had problems, but the code is too natural to give up on.

Greg