Standalone CGI Server - Question for Group

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Mar 29 08:51:53 EST 2002

"Sloth" <mt_horeb at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:67abb823.0203290500.3a3a7da1 at posting.google.com...
> Thanks for the feedback re. Apache.  I appreciate it!
>
> The reason that I'd like to find a native Python script is as follows:
> I started to build a proof of concept Web app for a company that
> queried a customer database and generated search results.  The company
> loved it and wanted to have me create a few "pilots" for salespeople.
> If I can simply have them install Python and install an additional
> module or two, it would be easier than asking non-technical sales
> folks to also install Apache.
>
> I agree, Apache is very painless.  On the other hand, less is more in
> this scenario and, frankly, now I'm just being stubborn and trying to
> get Python to act as its own CGI server.  Has anyone had luck making
> this work in a Window 9x
> environment?

CGIHTTPServer worked fine for me once the standard distribution included the
option of using spawn() rather than fork() to start the CGIs. Are you using
an older version of Python?

If you are looking for pure-Python web server code, there's oodles of it in
the download at http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp - this is the code from
"Python Web Programming", all of which has run on Win 98.

regards
 Steve