list comprehension question

Scott Widney SWidney at ci.las-vegas.nv.us
Wed Mar 27 22:51:02 EST 2002

Jumping in a little late, and moving backwards in time, but...

> From "I, Robot" and others, the Three Laws of Robotics.  (I
> just happen to have been rereading this on the weekend,
> so I guess the thought stuck.)
>
> First Law was "A robot may not injure a human being or, through
> inaction, allow a human to come to harm".
>
> Second: "A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings
> except where such orders would conflict with the First Law".
>
> Third: "A robot must protect its own existence as long as such
> protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law".
>
> * * *

Actually, it's Four Laws: you've forgotten the Zeroth Law. Roughly
paraphrased (it's been something like 10 years since I read it), mankind
precedes men. Something like, "A robot may not injure humankind or, through
inaction, allow humankind to come to harm". The needs of the many outweigh
the needs of the few (or the one). In light of that...

> > PS. tell the bot I'm sorry I doubted the correctness of his code
>
> If it's a bot, you don't have to apologize.  Bots feel no emotion.
>
> And you're safe, too -- remember the First Law.
>
> -objectifying-tim-ly yr's,
> Peter

...might want to reconsider the advice. If the bot tho't that the list would
be better off without certain noxious comments, or the innocuous for that
matter....

Hmm...
Scott