Binary generation with distutils? (Freeze, py2exe, etc.)

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Wed Mar 20 00:41:07 EST 2002

Fernando Pérez wrote in comp.lang.python:
> Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
>

>> - Magnus (who also is a bit baffled as to why distutils doesn't
>> include an "uninstall" command, such as the one implemented by
>> Thomas Heller.)
>
> Amen. It's incredibly annoying to have to tell users that a simple python
> setup.py install does the trick as far as splattering files all over their
> system, but that there's no reasonable way of undoing the process easily.

You know about "python setup.py bdist_rpm" for RPM-based Linuxen and
"python setup.py bdist_wininst" for Windows, right?

A bdist_deb or bdist_bsd_pkg or whatever simply isn't publicly
available, yet. But I'm pretty sure a patch implementing a new
packaging method would make it into Python.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930