sys.path append problem

hejduk claxtonr at beer.com
Thu Mar 21 00:08:38 EST 2002

I've recently installed python 2.2.1 on my slak 8.0 linux computer. I
want to do some gui programming with wxPython, but in order to do that
I have to change the module search path (sys.path) to include the
wxPython module. I've tried the following:

import sys
sys.append('/some/new/dir')

This works, but when i shut Python down and restart it the Path has
been reset to the default, meaning that it is impossible to run
scripts that attempt to import modules from outside of this default
path. When I used python on windoze the sys.path saved when I appended
to it, so I'm assuming that this is what is suppossed to happen.

I realize that there are several work arounds to this problem, but I
would prefer to correct it rather than cheat around it, because it
could be just a symptom of a larger problem.

Anyone know what the problem is?