findsyms.py - new script to help you document Python...

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Mar 28 17:15:20 EST 2002

Got a few minutes to kill during commercials while watching the West Wing or
Survivor?  I just checked findsyms.py into the src/Tools/scripts/ directory
of the Python CVS tree.  This script rummages around in the LaTeX source
looking for symbols that are exported by documented modules, but not
themselves documented.  It generates output like

    Not mentioned in smtplib docs:
       quoteaddr
       quotedata
    Not mentioned in SocketServer docs:
       ForkingTCPServer
       ForkingUDPServer
       ThreadingTCPServer
       ThreadingUDPServer
       ThreadingUnixDatagramServer
       ThreadingUnixStreamServer

It's crude, and certainly not foolproof, but I think should help identify
objects within modules that still need to be documented.

Since it's new, you'll have to get it from CVS for the time being.  If you
have the libref sources already, you can snag a copy here (warning: monster
sf.net url ahead that may well break):

    http://cvs.sf.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/python/python/dist/src/Tools/scripts/findsyms.py?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain

Feedback is welcome.  It has only been tried on Linux.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)