what I would like to see in python to make a better "glue" language (Newbie)

Anthony Baxter anthony at ekit-inc.com
Sun Mar 3 23:03:06 EST 2002

[sorry about the delay in responding, my email access is somewhat
sporadic at present]

>>> Anthony_Barker wrote
> 1. LDAP module should be included in the base distro. Active Directory
> is already available via com (nice)

I'm not convinced that this should be in the base distribution. Aside from
anything else, it often requires particular LDAP libraries to install. I
do think it should be easier to find and auto-install packages, but the
standard answer to this is, as ever, "send code".

> Important:
> 2. DNS really should be included in the base library, I emailed
> Anthony Baxter and he replied, saying it was almost done. It is a
> hassle to parse the dig (nslookup) output as I ended up doing, as it
> is not portable.

Yep. I'm still waiting for my bloody ADSL connection so I can pick this
up and run with this.

> 3. Telnet Library is great - including an SSH module would be a nice
> addition.

There's two sourceforge projects for this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyssh1/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyssh/

I've not compared the two, though.

> Less important:
> 4. Include an SNMP implementation, there are several around, but a
> pure python one as a library would be nice

Again, not really suitable for the base install, but as an added extra
it would be nice.

> 5. RRDTOOL - a nice wrapper would be nice ( there may be one already)

Not sure.

> One more idea for Administrators/Glue Implementers; lots of code
> examples is key.

Someone needs to write these examples. This is a non trivial amount of
work.

Anthony

It's never to late to have a happy childhood.