Another stab at a "switch/case" construct (for Python 3000):

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Fri Mar 29 09:05:25 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com>

> "Benjamin Schollnick" <junkster at rochester.rr.com> wrote ...
>
> > The CASE is cleaner, and can only be used to compare a SINGLE variable
> > with multiple values.  And I believe it's easier to maintain.....(And
> > can be optimized easier).
> >
> I don't. By the way, there's NO NEED TO SHOUT! ;-)

I'm with Steve on this; but further, the reason not to add features
to Python is always the same:  you screw up the simplicity and
cleanness.  Sure, if you only add ONE of the things (sorry for
shouting Steve :-) which is proposed each, oh, say each year, then
the language wouldn't be screwed up.  But how many things are
recommended each year?  A hundred or so reasonable suggestions?

Even if each and every suggestion is reasonable, when you get
done implementing all of them you have Perl.

So, each suggested change must be weighed not only for reasonableness
and utility, but also must have *really massive value* to overcome
the don't-add-unnecessary-stuff rule.

CASE closed.

Chris Gonnerman -- chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
http://newcenturycomputers.net