Disabling rexec for ActiveScripting in Local Intranet Zone?

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Thu Mar 14 07:03:02 EST 2002

When you do Client-Side ActiveScripting in Python, you cannot create
win32com objects. If my understanding is correct, this is caused by rexec()
limiting what you can do, for security reasons. However, over Client-Side
Scripting languages such as JScript and VBScript allow you to create
ActiveX objects, if IEs security settings allow that. Is there some trick
to allow using ActiveX objects (if security is "properly" configured) for
the local zone?

The situation is this. I have a C++ written ActiveX object for scripting
webpages that controls some kind of hardware. I want to be able to write
test scripts in python, and not in Javascript. Test scripts that are run
from the command line work just fine, only IE scripts don't, because of
said limitations. Currently, I have to stick with Javascript for sample
codes, which is (not surprisingly) a PITA.