Java and Python

Steven Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Tue Mar 19 02:50:10 EST 2002

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Ahmed Moustafa wrote:

> Delaney, Timothy wrote:
>
> >>From: Ahmed Moustafa [mailto:amoustafa at pobox.com]
> >>
> >>1. Where can I find an unbiased comparison between Java and Python?
> >>

> > Nowhere. The best place to look though is
> >
> > http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html
> >
> > which has comparisons with various languages.
>

> I knew about those articles and I felt they were biased to Python.

Well -- you can have biased towards Python or biased towards Java,
but you can't get unbiased anywhere!

> >>3. Who does support Python?
> >>

> > What type of support are you talking about? If you want commercial support,
> > I think ActiveState gives it. If you are talking about who maintains and
> > enhances Python, that's the Python development team in general (but with a
> > lot of community involvement.
>

> I understand Microsystems supports Java. Who does play the same role for
> Python?

Nobody supports "Java", although often someone supports particular
implementations of Java. ( Sun supports J2SE SDK, Apple supports
MRJ, and there are open source compiler implementations like IBM's
Jikes. )

-- Steve Majewski