Random...

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Mar 27 10:22:10 EST 2002

"A.M. Kuchling" <akuchlin at ute.mems-exchange.org> wrote in message
news:slrnaa3nvr.bj2.akuchlin at ute.mems-exchange.org...
> In article <mailman.1017235723.15647.python-list at python.org>,
> Chris Gonnerman wrote:
> > Perhaps I'm stupid... what the heck is wrong with the OP's message?
>
> Original material was added at the top of the post, and the entire
> message being responded to was quoted below.  Usenet convention is to
> do it the way I'm writing this message, by quoting only the few lines
> of text I'm responding to and writing my answer below.  Doing this way
> makes it much easier to pick up a thread in the middle, saves
> bandwidth, and users reading the digested version of python-list don't
> have to plow through 187 quoted copies of the same text again and
> again.
>
> I also view top-posting as rude; it implies the top-posting person's
> time is so valuable they can't be bothered to edit down the quoted
> text, but it's OK to waste *my* time by making me dig through levels
> upon levels of quoted material.

While you correctly interpret netiquette, might it not have been more
considerate to this list if you had *mailed* the OP rather than giving
her/him a public dressing down which many others also had to read
unnecessarily? Or is it OK to waste *my* time by chastising the OP publicly?

[I am aware the same applies to this post :-)]

netiquette-means-politeness-ly y'rs  - steve