CP4E was Re: Deitel and Deitel Book...

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Wed Mar 6 23:07:23 EST 2002

Quoting Geoff Gerrietts (geoff at gerrietts.net):
> What is it about internet discussion forums that makes everyone
> struggle to find grounds to argue rather than make an effort to
> understand?

I was probably being unfair here. Read here frustration at feeling
like the point's been missed for the lint-picking.

> Again, this is begging the question, and after two pointless arguments
> niggling over the semantics of "smarter", I'm starting to get a little
> annoyed. I can define smarter as "having a higher IQ", as "best
> educated", or as "most able to solve a given problem" and all of them
> work pretty well. Right now I'm talking about ability to ingest raw
> information and retain it. It's clear I should have been a little more
> explicit; I guess terms like "smarter" are just begging for people to
> fight.

And here at least I admit it's my fault, if a little late in the
issue.

I've tried to recast this discussion away from the specifics of my
first article and toward the issues, lest they get lost. I just want
to apologize in advance for letting my frustrations show, lest I give
insult where none was intended or deserved.

I'd rather the thread be intellectually provacative than
provocational, if we can manage it; pedagogy is of interest to me.

Thanks,
--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts        <geoff at gerrietts dot net>
"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments