PEP 262 (database of installed Python packages)

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sun Mar 3 07:16:47 EST 2002

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Andy Elvey wrote:

>Hi all.

>problematic .....
>   Anyway - just thought I'd test the waters on this - is there anyone else
>out there who'd love to see a single "search database"?  ( Imagine - no more
>fiddling with this path, or that path , blah blah .... )  Thanks for your
>time, and for your comments !

It is an interestin idea to have a registry for Python modules. However,
PEP262 is so full with XXXs and question marks that it is more of
intention than recipe.

What to do for example, if I have 3 versions of Python in my
system? Will I have 3 INSTALLDBs or one shared between?

Why not just use RPM to keep track of all files? RPM is not just for Linux
RedHat,SuSe,Mandrake, but I recall some people use it for other systems.

So, the intention of PEP 262 is to make RPM-like thingie for Python
platform. On RPM-based system it is not needed. All the fucntionality is
already present in rpm program.

So, probably better idea is to enable Distutils use system-specific
solutions. RPM on RedHat, DEB on Debian, whatever-it-is-(if-is) on MS
Windows, etc.

However, I am both hands pro CPAN for Python.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Sunday, March 03, 2002 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/