interactive python shell

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 01:12:03 EST 2002

ian reinhart geiser wrote:

> Greetings
> I have an python application and I would like to provide a "console" in the
> application where users can have an interactive session with python that has
> all of the applications enviroment.  This is for debugging the system in
> real time.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this?  All it needs to do is execute commands and
> return data.  I am using PyQt for my GUI, so it would be cool to fit into
> there, but I can get away with a input line and a display view if that is
> easier.  This is not for production, only to make a more useful debug tool.

Check out

http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/ipython/

Please grab the latest version (.10pre3 as of now), as it includes a number of
fixes specifically for what you want to do. With IPython, there's a class for
embedding exactly as you want, docs and examples are provided. If you end up
using it, let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

f.