why python for the academe?

Serge Rey serge at rohan.sdsu.edu
Sun Mar 17 13:22:51 EST 2002

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 02:57:06AM +0000, Paul Magwene wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:00:57 -0500, huck wrote:
>
> > hello all,
> >
> > i've been lurking for a while and am amused at how many people in the
> > list here use python for scientific computing. why not matlab (or octave
> > or scilab or whatever)?
> >

> Speaking only for myself of course - flexibility, extensibility,
> readability, and "shareability"

-snip- of good points.

i would add to the shareability aspect by considering that my students
can download python for free. while the same holds for octave and
scilab, octave has been a bit more difficult for students to get
installed on windows. scilab is a bit easier to install, but there again
you do not have as flexible/extensible/readabile  a language as you do
with python (+numpy).

plus, python is just more fun :)
--
Serge Rey	http://typhoon.sdsu.edu/rey.html
Nature is the realization of the simplest conceivable mathematical