should i learn it first ?

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Sun Mar 10 13:25:42 EST 2002

>But are there any tasks for which C++ (or C++/Python) is really better
>than C/Python?

While it's not impossible, it's quite laborious (!) o write object
oriented code with C. While I am a big skeptic of buzzword compliance
for its own sake (OOP, bleach!), the path of least resistance in C is
to not write code which is as neatly encapsulated as one generally
gets when one writes simple C++ code. This matters.

Even if one doesn't use all of C++'s fancy features, inheritance,
virtual functions, and good basic data encapsulation are real life
savers that make it hard to want to regress to pure C code.

I have written object oriented code in C, using the Xt/Intrinsics
approach. It's a pain. It also greatly increase the syntax to
functionality ratio quite significantly. That's a very bad thing.

C//