Useful, robust shell utilities

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Fri Mar 1 08:27:31 EST 2002

In article <F4Kf8.492$Az6.1763 at news.hananet.net>, Jonathan Gardner
<jgardn at alumni.washington.edu> writes:

| Is there an effort to make a robust, useful shutil module that has the
| equivalent of the unix shell utilities?

yes, mostly. (there might be some missing system calls - but they
are covered quite well).

| I think it would be nice to make things like 'grep' even...

| Here is my wish list. [...]

you could use the existing utilities and save the trouble :)

| If there isn't an effort to make this, or if no one has done anything like
| this yet, I am willing to volunteer some time to do it. It would be really
| nice if they ended up being compatible with Windows and Macintosh - give
| them some powerful tools they didn't even know existed!

you can get the real things for windows with cygwin. macintoshes are
natively unix-based these days.

if you decide to go ahead with it, you could look into

  -- erno