PEP262 - database of installed packages

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Mar 26 10:15:14 EST 2002

"A.M. Kuchling" <akuchlin at crystal.mems-exchange.org> wrote in message news:slrnaa13du.cmq.akuchlin at crystal.mems-exchange.org...
> In article <eujv9uonmvb9091u87it6438oqoev3cdqh at 4ax.com>, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
> > ownerdescriptor=GetFileSecurity(filename,OWNER_SECURITY_INFORMATION)
> > ...     owner=ownerdescriptor.GetSecurityDescriptorOwner()
> > ...     ownername=LookupAccountSid(None,owner)
> > ...     return ownername[0]
>
> That wouldn't be hard to support on Windows.  The question for Windows
> developers is simply: is it useful to support this?  I'll defer to
> Thomas or Tim on that point.

This code requires Mark's win32all extensions to be installed.
win32all may be a very common extension, but it is definitely
not a requirement.

I keep the suggestion I made before:
  So, for PEP 262, wouldn't it be sufficient to use "<unknown>" as user
  (since we don't care), and the value of S_IMODE(st[ST_MODE]) as permission?

Tim, what do you think?

Thomas