Is Python an object based programming langauge?

Anton Vredegoor anton at vredegoor.doge.nl
Thu Mar 14 05:40:57 EST 2002

On 14 Mar 2002 01:55:03 GMT, bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) wrote:

>Sorry, but that is not true of Delphi. Did you ever work Delphi from
>the command line? You can easily write console apps that do not use GUI windows:
>---
> [17:10] V:\Dwk\bare>type bare.dpr
> program bare;
> {$APPTYPE CONSOLE}
> uses sysutils;
> begin
>   Writeln('Hello World ;-)')
> end.

>From the Delphi IV docs of a similar (console program):
<start quote>
Aside from its simplicity, this example differs in several important
ways from programs that you are likely to write with Delphi. First, it
is a console application. Delphi is typically used to write Windows
applications with graphical interfaces; hence, in a Delphi application
you would not ordinarily call Writeln. Moreover, the entire example
program (save for Writeln) is in a single file. In a Delphi
application, the program heading—the first line of the example—would
be placed in a separate project file that would not contain any of the
actual application logic, other than a few calls to methods defined in
unit files.
<end quote)

>Well, please don't add to the confusion about Delphi's capabilities ;-)
>You could put someone off that might like it ;-)

Well I like Delphi myself and I don't want to put anyone off!
However I just wanted to state that its very unnatural in Delphi to
write a console app. For example open the IDE and click

file-new-

and then try to click on something that starts a new console
application -).

I do not want to criticize Delphi, I do want to state that object
oriented programming can be so tightly coupled to GUI style program
design that it can give the (false) impression that GUI style program
design and OOP are unavoidably connected.

Anton.