making python scripts backwards compatible

Paul Hughett hughett at mercur.uphs.upenn.edu
Tue May 7 10:14:26 EDT 2002

Steve Holden <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:

: Ans this in turn begs the question, does the author even *know* what
: versions her software works on?

I would *hope* that anyone publishing software on the web would know
which version they are developing on.  Then a simple statement "This
software was developed and tested only on Python 2.1.3."  would give
the prospective user some clue about the level of difficulty he faces.

: Not everyone who uses Python is in touch
: wiht the hjistory of its syntax and feature set. If I start using Python
: tomorrow, do I have to learn what features 1.5.2 includes so I can provide
: backward compatibility?

Nope, you are free to choose the level of compatibility that you're
willing to provide.  But some indication of the level you choose would
be very helpful.

Paul Hughett