SciPy won't install (Win98)

Gary Pajer pajer at iname.com
Mon May 6 10:32:37 EDT 2002

I just downloaded the SciPy installation .exe, and it won't run properly.
The second screen asks me to choose which installation of Python I'd like to
put SciPy in.  But the field is blank, and down below in the text control
box, there is a blinking grey cursor, but I can't type anything into the
field.  I downloaded it again: no change.

???

The archive seems to include four sub-directories: gui_thread, Include,
Numeric, and scipy, plus a file called Numeric.pth, which contains the word
"Numeric" and nothing else.  Can I just extract these from the
self-executing archive and install by hand?  Would all these subs go into
...\site-packages\scipy?

Thanks,
Gary