OT: The sun shines out of big business

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Tue May 21 22:50:04 EDT 2002

"David K. Trudgett" wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for your detailed reply. As this is OT, however, I will be
> brief. Suffice it to say I don't agree with anything you said, though
> I make a couple of specific notes below.
>
> On Tuesday 2002-05-21 at 01:02:55 -0700, James J. Besemer wrote:
>
> > Nothing in my reply was intended to specifically criticize your post.  In
>
> Well, that's good. Nothing in my post was meant to suggest you were
> referring to me in particular.
>
> > I merely felt compelled to praise Tim's, mainly because he did argue at
> > length why the contrary views are short sighted and (IMHO) child-like.
> > Furthermore, I found it a refreshing change of pace from the MS ankle
> > biting that is so prevalent here.
>
> Oh, yes, I fully see your point! I also find it immensely refreshing
> to read about the US energy war in Afghanistan. It makes such a change
> from the anti-terrorist propaganda one hears all the time. Perhaps

So 3000+ dead is merely "propaganda" - interesting.  Just *what* would
it take to get you to "buy" the premise that the threat of
 "terrorism/asymmetric warfare" is real, present, and directed
at the heart of all free societies?  A vision from On High?  A directive from
your government?  The loss of someone close enough to you that you'd
notice?

Talk is cheap when you're not under threat.  All free societies
are at risk in some degree here, but the US alone will carry the brunt
of it because we are seen as the opinion leader in the West.  It is
morally offensive to me as a "converted" American (I was born a
Commonwealth citizen) for you or anyone to categorize the present
situation as propaganda.

> George Dubya and his oil cronies should just cut right through it all
> and tell people like it is. It's not at all as if big business is
> killing, torturing and starving thousands or millions of innocent men,
> women and children. It's not like that at all. In fact, it would be
> libelous even to think it.

I completely agree with you.  My US tax dollars should never be used in
the interest of propping up foreign powers who happen to have a bunch
of dead dinosaur remains under their sand.  I'm sick of my money and
my fellow citizens' lives being spent to further the interests of a bunch
of totalitarian tribal savages.  Furthermore, said tax dollars
should *never* be given away to foreign nations of any stripe, no matter
how much the come begging at our door for handouts.  This should not only
apply to the 3rd-world, but also to our nominal "allies" who are quick
to ask us to bail them out of their military and economic woes and even
quicker to complain about our "big business, torturing and starving thousands" -
what a crock.  The people dying by the thousands are doing so because they
have failed to overthrow their dictators and embrace Capitalism.

> David Trudgett

Tim Daneliuk
tundra at tundraware.com