hooking pc to a card embosser

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Wed May 29 16:44:14 EDT 2002

On Wed, 29 May 2002 13:39:25 GMT
dyoungblood at mindspring.com wrote:

> I'm hoping that you guys can help me with a project. I repair card
> embossers ( machines that emboss-punch raised letters- on credit cards
> and such). One of the ways that these machines can be controlled by is
> hooking it up to a dumb terminal. I want to make a program for my
> laptop that will simulate a dumb terminal and thereby give me full
> control of the machine. Hooking up to it this way gives me the ability
> to save layouts and change system settings, etc. The machine has setup
> options for the following terminals:
> 1) Sherwood 750-ST
> 2) QVT 101+
> 3) Esprit 6110+

Have a look at telnetlib in the standard library.  Although it connects via a
socket (which I doubt your device has), I expect you could get some useful
ideas from it or perhaps even modify it to talk over a serial line rather than
a socket.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)