Upper memory limit

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Tue May 14 15:48:35 EDT 2002

Fernando Pérez wrote:

> You may find it 'very readable (and often better in style than Numeric's
> idiosyncrasy)' but in many cases the above is about the worst possible way of
> dealing with a Numeric array you could come up with. What you call 'Numeric's
> idiosyncrasy' has a very good reason for being the way it is: when you work
> with Numeric arrays as single entities and apply functions to them as a
> whole, you gain the _massive_ advantage of looping being done in C instead of
> Python. This can make a difference of one or two orders of magnitude in
> execution time.
>
> I personally can't stand windows and consider Linux a zillion times better as
> an environment for scientific computing, but in this particular case I can't
> guarantee that your memory problems will go away in Linux.

[It is clear that the erg.append() is not very effective; but in Python
or Lisp I use another strategy for programming]. Note: the first 2
function calls take only 20 minutes! Btw.: After 6 hours, my calculation
on my laptop has just finished.

Btw. I will prepare you a place in heaven if you can tell me whether
there is an option to set a default path. For example, I have
successfully installed Python in:

/home/gonzi/Python-2.2.1/...

and my Numeric-21.0 resides in:

/home/gonzi/Python-2.2.1/Numeric-21.0

but after trying to install the Numeric stuff::

python setup.py install

I get the error message:

creating /usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric
error: could not create
'/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric': Permission denied

I tried to use the --path=.... option but this does not work. How can I
tell it to use my path and not a default directory?

Thanks,
S. Gonzi