Academic citation for Python

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Fri May 24 22:44:29 EDT 2002

In article <3CEEEE42.60D47318 at engcorp.com>,
 Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

> > How should the Python language be cited in an academic publication?
>
> Doesn't "to cite" mean simply to acknowledge a source of information?
>
> I don't think you can "cite" a language.  Maybe specific facts about
> the language, drawn from the "literature" (e.g. www.python.org), but
> not "the language" itself.

I can't speak for the OP, but I can imagine situations in which I'm
writing an academic paper, and want to use Python to describe an
algorithm or something, but don't trust my audience to all know Python.
So, I'd say that my algorithm was written in Python [1], where the
numbered reference points to somewhere people could go to learn what
Python is.  Is there a canonical source of information or should one
just pick one of the intro to Python programming books?

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/