apphelp.dll dependency of python22.dll

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed May 22 08:40:11 EDT 2002

"Achim Domma" <achim.domma at syynx.de> wrote in message news:<acfba4$dgm$07$1 at news.t-online.com>...
> "Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1022023716.25545.python-list at python.org...
> > The PythonLabs python22.dll was built on a Win98SE box.  This is no
> > apphelp.dll on the box, and Dependency Walker shows no such dependence.
>
> python22.dll depends on shlwapi.dll. The newest version of this dll
> introduces a dependency to apphelp.dll. So it seems to be a microsoft
> problem and I will try it in their newsgroups.

I have Windows 2000. Dependency Walker shows (like Achim's case under
Windows XP) that the Pythonlabs python22.dll depends on shell32.dll,
which depends on shlwapi.dll, which depends on apphelp.dll, which is
missing [* OT footnote]. However I have had no problems with importing
my own extensions -- which are compiled with mingw gcc and with
Borland C/C++ 5.5, not with MS VC (which shouldn't make a difference).

Achim, What is the error message you get when you try to import your
own extension? Have you tried copying your pyd to a box running an
earlier version of Windows and importing it there? What makes you
think it is the fault of the missing apphelp.dll?

HTH,
John

[*] ... which reminded me of the novel "Ivanhoe", in which IIRC the
jester introduces himself as "Wamba, the son of Witless, the son of
Weatherbrain, the son of an alderman."