Survey: bsddb is definitely broken. Should it be fixed, or deprecated?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu May 30 07:10:27 EDT 2002

garth at deadlybloodyserious.com (Garth T Kidd) wrote:
> Frankly, I'd rather people use dumbdbm (slow) than bsddb (unreliable),
> but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

I agree.  Fast is good, but working is better.

We had a rather ugly incident here a while ago with a python app I wrote
having to read dbm files written by somebody else's perl code as well as
some written by python.  Had to run on variety of linux and solaris boxes.

After going around and around with incompatable versions of things (not to
mention that bsddb blows up on large data), we finally just bit the bullet
and said "everything uses gdbm, on all platforms, under all languages".