Building Python on Cray T3E

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at niwa.co.nz
Fri May 10 01:53:33 EDT 2002

"Andrew Dalke" <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote in message
news:abfjuu$djs$1 at slb4.atl.mindspring.net...

> _sre's join is only used in that file and it's static, so you can
> rename it easily if you want.  Change _sre.c (line 1791 in 2.2.1)
> so the function "join" is now "srejoin" ...

Thanks for that, Andrew. (Thanks also to Skip Montanaro, who replied to my
post by email.)

The change to _sre.c worked and I now have a minimal Python installation
working (though I haven't been brave enough to try "make test"). It's
minimal at the moment because "make" tries to build extensions dynamically,
and Cray's cc compiler doesn't support dynamic linking. (At least I don't
think it does--it certainly doesn't work the way it's being called here.) So
I'm working through Modules/Setup, seeing what can and what can't be built
and linked statically.

OK, so once I have something working, how can I get my findings into the
installation notes and/or build process? Eg. can the configure script be
persuaded to turn off static linking on this platform? How do I get the _sre
patch into the source?

--
Mark Hadfield            "Ka puwaha et tai nei, Hoea tatou"
m.hadfield at niwa.co.nz
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)