internationalization problems

Johann programisci at NOSPAM.murator.com.pl
Thu May 2 07:57:08 EDT 2002

I want to prepare multi platform application which can work in
Windows, Linux and MacOS. The problem is I cannot relay on utf-8
charset because older computers cannot display it correctly. So I need
to implement codec for 3 different charsets because Windows uses
window-1250, Linux uses  iso-8859-2 and Mac uses its own different
coding for Polish characters (I assume, my application will be in
Polish characters native to each platform).

I thought it would be good to use codec library, but I have almost no
examples in manual how to use it. I have also no experience with this
library. Is it good idea to choose it? Maybe I should choose another
way?

I have also problem with converting from utf-8 into window-1250 or
iso-8859-2 (latin-2). E.g.

x = u'some text'
x.encode('latin-1')
# it works but.... I need latin-2...