Win32 install questions

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Thu May 2 20:35:36 EDT 2002

[toman wrote]

> This is more of a Wise question than a Python question. I'm trying to
> install Python-2.2.1.exe and win32all-146.exe
> as part of a larger installation. Are there command line arguments for
> these programs that can make them run
> silently (i.e. no GUI at all) and that can specify the target path for
> the installation? So far I've found
> the /S flag which makes the Python install silent, but the win32all
> install still pops a progress bar. Is there any
> way around this?

I am not sure about the win32all installer but you may be interested in
the latest ActivePython builds (disclaimer: look at my email address).
Their install notes describe how to do what you ask.

For example the following command will silently install ActivePython to
"C:\myapps\Python":

    c:\> msiexec ActivePython-<version>.msi /qn+ INSTALLDIR=C:\myapps\Python

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/install_22#install_complex

> Also, I noticed that site packages have been moved to Lib/site-packages
> . Is this going to stay this way for the forseeable
> future?

Yup.

Cheers,
Trent