[Survey] Py Feedback

Bryan Richard cook at pyzine.com
Thu May 9 12:52:34 EDT 2002

On Thu, 09 May 2002 12:55:05 GMT, Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it>
wrote:

>Perhaps, but I think you're right.  The web is great, but printed
>paper is anything but dead.  No idea what it would take for a
>40/60-pages glossy PyZine to break even in terms of number of
>copies sold per issues, subscriptions, ads, periodicity, prices.
>
>But IF it could manage to balance these variables and break even
>(including paying modest but reasonable amounts for the time spent
>putting it together), I think it would surely help Python reach
>more people.

full glossy would most likely require an influx of cash from an
outside source. with the printers i've talked to in the past couple of
months, just adding a glossy cover to the first issue would have
nearly doubled the printing cost and add two weeks to the lead time.
i'm just not that far ahead yet and given the sad state of the
magazine industry right now i doubt anyone wants to buy in.

you don't make a lot (if any) from the newsstands. it's more to
sweeten the deal for advertisers and the world of Python advertising
seems somewhat thin.

that, being said, if i start now with the drafting of a plan for a
full ramp-up to 40 pages, distributed, in early 2003 i think i can get
there.

thanks, alex.