Ann: Stackless Limbo Dancing Works Fine!

Fernando Pereira pereira at cis.upenn.edu
Sun May 26 07:17:34 EDT 2002

On 5/26/02 6:15 AM, "Christian Tismer" <tismer at tismer.com> wrote:

> Discordance on these issues might make me want to leave them.
> Please, all, your task is to make me do the right thing(TM),
> which is a real challenge. Internals have for sure their own
> auditory. Please continue with advice, which was great so far.

Here are the design decisions that underlies the most recent hair-splitting:
do channels have single readers and writers (1-to-1 channels), or not? If
they are 1-to-1, how is that enforced? I think JCSP deals with this the
right way. There are several classes of channel: 1-to-1, 1-to-many,
many-to-1, many-to-many, but all of them share common interfaces for reading
and writing. The most complicated case, many-to-many, would need some ariant
of the full machinery described in that old Cardelli paper; the others would
be easier sub-cases. I also like this design because you can start with
1-to-1, which is the easiest and most common case, and add the others if and
when needed.

-- F