Looking for a scripting language

deckerben deckerben at freenet.de
Tue May 7 15:55:27 EDT 2002

> So ... this means that (1) you are pretending to be "posix" [can you
> live up to that?] and
<snip>

    Thank you for the reply. The problem you are referring to has already
been apperantly solved.
    BTW: Many packages think that they are being installed on a POSIX-based
system when DJGPP builds them, becuase it uses the same 'configure-make'
dance that normally only UNIX platforms use. DJGPP is itself, a port of all
the GNU tools, just like porting to Cygwin or so. The advantage is that you
are not limited to running the exectable in Windows and needing all the
Cygwin stuff. I the future, I will try to bring more real-DOS flavoring to
the port where it's needed. I will probably have to make a couple more small
changes to the standard library and distutils. Probably one of the greatest
losses is that I don't have the socketmodule ported. The mmapmodule memeory
routines also fell out. This port will be labeled 'expiremental' and I would
appreciate feedback. If there are any floorboards loose, we'll find 'em.

> Not having done a port, I'm not qualified either, but until a better
> suggestion comes along: (1) kill off your malformed os.uname (2)
> ensure that your sys.platform returns something sensible, maybe
> "djgpp" (3) Hope that distutils does something sensible with unknown
> values returned from sys.platform; you may need to submit some patches
> to the distutils maintainers. You may need to "register" your port
> with (a) the distutils maintainers (b) the BDFL. You may need to ask
> generally what other known gotchas there might be for a porter ...

The other serious limitation will be when running SETUP.PY routines, calls
to the C compiler cause Python to run out of memeory for one reason or
another. I haven't figured it out yet.

Ben