Python stagnating?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu May 9 15:08:28 EDT 2002

    chris> What is the status of Python development? Or the supporting
    chris> organization? I notice a lot of links in the FAQ and other
    chris> documents are outdated/broken, and surfing the web I saw a lot of
    chris> references to the "Python Starship" but it looks like it hasn't
    chris> been updated in a few years...

Just like every other Python-related thing, support of the various
Python-related websites, in particular www.python.org, is a volunteer thing.
If you find busted links on www.python.org, please send a note to
pydotorg at python.org that says something like

    On http://www.python.org/Jobs.html the link to http://www.zope.com/
    isn't working.

That will allow one of us with change permissions to the CVS repository to
investigate easily.  By my crude count just now there are over 900 HTML
pages under CVS control, so just saying "a lot of links ... are
outdated/broken" doesn't narrow it down a lot.  (Actually, it keeps me from
checking the Mojam and Musi-Cal sites for broken links, but that's about
it...)

I can't comment on the status of the Starship.  Don't take its condition as
an indication of the status of the language or its community, however.  Here
are a few references you might take a look at which suggest Python is
actually fairly un-stagnant:

    counts at the bottom of the page

    monthly message counts

    http://sf.net/ - search in software/groups for "python" and page through
    the results

    http://sourceforge.net/top/mostactive.php - note that Python is the
    fourth most active project on SourceForge (only #32 during the past
    week, however)

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)
"Excellant Written and Communications Skills [required]" - post to chi.jobs