making python scripts backwards compatible

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon May 6 08:10:46 EDT 2002

"dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ab3rlq$edl$1 at news.doit.wisc.edu...
> this begs the question, why not put a comment that announces what version
> you, the author, used to write the code?  This at least puts the user on
> notice.

Ans this in turn begs the question, does the author even *know* what
versions her software works on? Not everyone who uses Python is in touch
wiht the hjistory of its syntax and feature set. If I start using Python
tomorrow, do I have to learn what features 1.5.2 includes so I can provide
backward compatibility?

and-even-then-the-1.4-users-would-complain-ly y'rs  - steve
--

Steve Holden: http://www.holdenweb.com/ ; Python Web Programming:
http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/