OT: Crazy Programming

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon May 13 19:58:49 EDT 2002

Chris wrote:

> > > While I enjoy Python - and I do... it opned up the world of OO
> > > programming for me - I think there's almost a danger in things being too
> > > obvious.  Creativity can be a messy business, but ultimately it leads to
> > > better places.
[...]
> In the end I'm not trying to say Python's approach is bad.  Quite the
> contrary, I like Python quite a bit, and have defended it amongst Perl
> devotees.  I just think that there is an advantage to a bit of
> ambiguity, at times.

You've said there's a danger in things being too obvious, and that there
are advantages to a bit of ambiguity, but you haven't yet stated what
that danger nor what those advantages might be.

Is it just a gut feeling, or do you really have specific examples on
which you base these claims?

Personally, I reject both of them outright, after starting with the
premise that when programming I'm engaged in a practical endeavour,
not an artistic one.

-Peter