How to access to a remote db

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri May 10 11:40:12 EDT 2002

"Sara D'Amico" <saramard at camerond.tin.it> wrote in message
news:abgo65$chq$1 at fe1.cs.interbusiness.it...
> Hi all,
> I'm looking for a method to do a remote access (read and write) from a
> domain server (linux+samba) to a ms access db on another pc.I know that it
> can be done using a python script. Is there anybody that was in a
situation
> like this?
> Thank you in advance

So the Linux system will be the Access *client*, and the server will be a
(presumably Windows-based) PC?

This is probably about the trickiest combination of technologies, because as
far as I know there are not remote drivers for Access. This means that you
will have to layer some technologies to have an application on the Linux
system communicate with an application on the Windows system, which in turn
makes use of the Access database using either ODBC or ADO interfaces.

You could look at solutions like Pyro (Python Remote Objects), but it may be
that your particular requirements could be handled in a simpler way. Could
you give some more background about what it is you want to do?

regards
 Steve
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/