Has Red Hat helped or hurt?

Mark Charsley mark.charsley at REMOVE_THIS.radioscape.com
Wed May 8 10:01:00 EDT 2002

In article <4pbhdu4t69e6eqt3q3l4q72odo0c9ufo9p at 4ax.com>, timr at probo.com
(Tim Roberts) wrote:

> Red Hat 7.x uses Python 1.52 for many of its configuration and
> administration activities.  Ordinarily, I'd say this was a Good Thing
> for
> the betterment and furtherance of Python.
>
> However, it makes it deucedly difficult to upgrade away from 1.52.  If
> one
> upgrades /usr/bin/python to be 2.x, all of Red Hat's custom
> configuration
> scripts are no longer found in site-packages.

Not being an expert in linux (let alone RH), wouldn't it be reasonably
simple to have /usr/bin/python be a tiny little app that does the
following?

if (input_script_is_in_a_RH_directory)
{
    start_and_transfer_cmd_line_inputs_outputs_etc(Python1.5);
}
else
{
    start_and_transfer_cmd_line_inputs_outputs_etc(Python2);
}

--

Mark - personal opinion only, could well be wrong, not representing
company, don't sue us etc. etc.