Zaurus and Python, a good combination

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Sun May 12 19:16:22 EDT 2002

* Ron Stephens <rdsteph at earthlink.net> [2002-05-12 22:07 +0000]:
> Does anyone know if the Compaq IPAQ and PALM devices have command line
> interfaces?

No keyboard, but the iPAQ has almost the same hardware as the Zaurus,
and I'm running opie on it, which is even binary compatible to the
Zaurus' Qtopia environment.

> [...] I am trying to learn PyQt and Black Adder to make GUI programs
> for the Zaurus (although I don't know if or how hard it would be to
> port PyQt to the machine?)

I beg your pardon? http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/download.php
Install the packages and off you go.

It _is_ fairly hard to port PyQt to Qt embedded. I and some others tried
before. But furtunately, the PyQt maintainer has done this himself now
:-))

> [...] I don't know if PyQt programs can be turned into ipkg files,
> that are automatically installable on the Zaurus, but I suspect with
> work they might be.

Sure that's possible, an example is available from the PyQt maintainer,
IIRC.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930