PEP 218 Re: ANN: set-0.1 module available

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri May 17 19:08:04 EDT 2002

"James J. Besemer" wrote:

> Actually Denis seemed to be suggesting that sets themselves should be
> immutable so they could Serve as dictionary keys.  I think it's very
> plausable that sets would be used in this manner..

I see.  Certainly it's not inconceivable that some might use sets in
this manner, but it seems just as likely, if not more so, that people
would want sets (themselves) to be mutable, so that objects can be added
and removed.

Certainly having the sets themselves, like tuples, being immutable
eliminates the question of what kind of elements can be contained within
them, but that seems extremely limiting.  The goal here is finding the
right balance between usefulness and arbitrary limitations.

/  \ Who'd ever think it / Such a squalid little ending
\__/ The American and Florence, _Chess_
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.