string module

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue May 21 06:48:43 EDT 2002

Fernando Pérez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>
> >> Why the difference?
> >
> > the readline library might be messing up the locale.
>
> Indeed! Thanks for the information, I was really puzzled. Here's
> what happens:

[...]

> So indeed, since I'm loading readline at the interactive prompt, there's an
> under the hood resetting of the locale. Ah, the beauty of perl-like silent,
> implicit global changes ;)

Now trying playing with signals at the interactive prompt[1]
<wink/frown>.  I wouldn't want to live without readline, but sometimes
I do wish it wouldn't bugger around with stuff my application cares
about so much.

Cheers,
M.

[1] As in:
 http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-November/018420.html

--
  MARVIN:  Oh dear, I think you'll find reality's on the blink again.