Newbie: finding the key/index of the min/max element

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu at gauss.almadan.ibm.com
Wed May 1 15:18:48 EDT 2002

[Laura Creighton]
>> That is simple ignorant American narrow-minded foolishness talking.
>> Normally, I would take extreme great care to not say anything so
>> offensive, but I have a deep suspcion that James J Besemer is one
>> of the 'can't take the heat' folks, and will learn to like a kinder
>> and gentler place than the one he proposes to make for Raymond Hettinger
>> if he finds out what it is like to live in the place he proposed.

[James J. Besemer]
>I'm truly sorry that my sincere attempt to answer what I thought was a simple
>question caused you to resort to open hostility.  I am truly impressed by your
>vicisousness.

[James J. Besemer, earlier]
> > I don't interpret this strongly worded and slightly sarcastic critique to
> > be hostile.

[François Pinard]
> For me, sarcasm and strong wording are not welcome.  There are ways to
> disagree, and even disagree much, while staying friendly.

[James J. Besemer]
Americans tend to value straight talk.  I put it all under the category of
effective communication.  Being French Canadian, this may be alien to you.

[Steve Holden]
> Well, speaking as a US-based Englishman (from Yorkshire, where sarcasm comes
> as naturally as calling your best friend a stupid bastard) I have to say my
> experience is that *some* Americans will *say* they value straight talk
> until they actually receive some, Then one is being "aggressive".

[James J. Besemer]
Sad but true.  I trust you don't lump me in that category.

:-)

trying-to-play-a-mirror-here-ly y'rs

Huaiyu