Python networking question

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Fri May 3 17:29:12 EDT 2002

"Russell E. Owen" <rowen at cesmail.net> wrote in news:rowen-
020633.11180203052002 at nntp2.u.washington.edu:
> I am writing a Python GUI networking client (presently in Tkinter,
> though I hope to switch to wxPython) and have a question...
>
> What is the recommended way to do network I/O from Tkinter or wxPython?
i would recomend to put the networking IO in a separate thread. you can
then there use more threads and blocking sockets or select.
(i prefer select 'cause you have the timeout thing for free)

this way your gui will always be responsive and maybe you will need threads
anyway if you have long running tasks initiated by the gui. (there is also
some example of that in the wiki on wxPython.org)

[...]
> Any advice or pointers to advice (is there's a good book on the
> subject?) would be much appreciated.

you go for threading you will undoubtely be pointed to Aahz site...
http://starship.python.net/crew/aahz/

chris
--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>