Zaurus and Python, a good combination

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Sun May 12 18:07:40 EDT 2002

Thanks to the folks at Riverbank Computing you can download a Python
interpreter that runs on the ARM and Linux based Sharp Zaurus PDA;
Riverbank's web site at http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/zaurus/ is
the place to go for this download. There ar also downloads for many
Python librairies for the ARM.

Having splurged and bought my first -ever PDA, a Zaurus, I am quite
pleased. I am runing many of my own personal Python scripts on the
Zaurus, from the BASH shell command line terminal program provided. I
have discussed this with many folks who own or are considering buying a
Zaurus, at the Zaurus home page at http://www.zauruszone.com/ and
several of them have also taken an interest and are trying out Python
programs on the Zaurus.

I recently read an interview with Guido van Rossum (I think it was in
Linux Journal) where Guido commented that programming for PDA's or
handhled computers might be one of the brightest spots in Python's future.
I am intrigued by this. The Zaurus' command line BASH shell, combined
with the built-in keyboard is great for this purpose.
I don't think that a command line without a built in keyboard would
be nearly as good for this purpose; I need the keyboard for entering
data and such, and
the Zaurus' keyboard is almost as good as a real keyboard for me, to my
surprise; it feels natural.

Does anyone know if the Compaq IPAQ and PALM devices have command line
interfaces? I guess they must , since I believe I have read about Python
ports to both the Windows CE and the PALM operating systems. Still, with
its thumboard, the Zaurus is pretty hard to beat (The Zaurus also
features an online "keyboard,", a "pickBoard", and handwriting
recognition, but the thumboard makes the Zaurus pretty hard to beat.
The Zaurus also comes with a built-in JEDOE JVM in  order to make porting
Java progrtasm eassy, and to make
developing new Java bsed code for the Zaurus easy.Also, the Zaurus has
its native  QT-based Qtopia environment.
  I am trying to learn PyQt
and Black Adder to make GUI programs for the Zaurus (although I don't
know if or how hard it would be to port PyQt to the machine?) But even on
the command line, Python shines in my opinion.

So, if anyone is looking for new realms to conquer with their Python
skills, I heartily recommend the Sharp Zaurus.

I don't know if PyQt programs can be turned into ipkg files, that are
automatically installable on the Zaurus, but I suspect with work they
might be.

Anyway, I have re-organized my web site and created a page for all the
Python scripts I have tested on the Zaurus already, and quite a few
folks from the Zaurus-online board are trying them out. The newly
organized site is best entered from http://www.awaretek.com

Happy Pythoneering to all...;-)))

Ron Stephens
http://www.awaretek.com