Message queueing

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at cbbrowne.com
Fri May 3 08:48:02 EDT 2002

> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:45:29PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > The BIG problem with the "rolling via SMTP" is that SMTP doesn't
> > provide you _any_ kind of end-to-end guarantees on delivery.
>
> Theoretically you are right. SMTP by itself does not guarantee
> much of anything. But using something like the well (C-)written
> highly modular 'qmail' on both sides might make it easy to be sure that
> a message has been sent and received. You should prefer peer-to-peer
> relaying instead of sending it through several hops.
> I am pretty sure that you can get guarantees without having to resort
> to implement TCP over mail :-)
>
> I admit that i haven't tried such a setup myself. But i would definitely
> give it a look especially because qmail is - apart from highly
> secure - fast and very easy to configure.

Which SMTP server you use makes _zero_ difference if some misconfiguration
means that dropping messages in means they go in the "bit bucket";

Which SMTP server I'm running on my often-disconnected laptop makes _zero_
difference if the timing of when I'm connected has the result that messages
get dropped on the floor.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc@" "sirhc"))
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/linuxxian.html