Which GUI Library to Use

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri May 10 02:21:22 EDT 2002

A. Keyton Weissinger wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am beginning work on what will likely turn into a fairly large GUI-based
> application and would like your thoughts on which library to use:
>
> A) Tk Only
> B) Tk with Python Mega-widgets or similar (i.e. Tk with some other stuff)
> C) Qt (BlackAdder just announced the incorporation of Qt3 into BA)
> D) wxPython
>
> I want to get the best combination of easiest to install most feature rich
> and do not have enough experience with the non-Tk libraries.

IMHO, unless you have problems with the licenses or funding issues, Qt
is a good choice.  It's not simplest, but extremely feature-rich and
well documented when you considered both Rempt's book AND the ease of
using Trolltech's large manuals (things translate from Qt to PyQt quite
plainly).  BlackAdder makes it easy to install as it comes with all you
need (or will once it does support Qt3), although in fact on my Linux
box I decided to install from sources anyway (my personal preference:
software that's mission-critical for me I install from sources -- Python,
VIM, now Qt, and a very few other pieces).

Tkinter is OK, but nowhere as feature-rich as Qt -- not as fast, not
as neatly native-looking.  wxPython was OK when I last tried it, but
that was quite a while ago -- I'm not qualified to have an opinion on
how it is right now.

A;ex