Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

DeepBleu DeepBleu at DeepBleu.org
Mon May 6 17:06:41 EDT 2002

"John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:Pine.SOL.4.30.0205062138200.23130-100000 at mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk...
> On Mon, 6 May 2002, DeepBleu wrote:
> [...]
> > I can not understand how anyone can even recommend Perl, a beat up
clunky
> > ugly language, for a project in a modern setting.
>
> Perl has masses of free library code.  If there's reusable code in Perl
> and not in Python, it makes sense to use Perl.  Admittedly, that didn't
> stop me porting a package from Perl recently, just so I could use Python
> instead...

I know.  In my work I seem to be able to find what I need in Python.  So
maybe I never had the chance to actually *need* to use Perl.  I only wrote
one program in Perl years ago.  A CGI program.  Before I shelved  the Perl
documentation and re-did the project in C++.  Then I moved altogether into
Python.  I believe that Perl manages to remind me of long sleepless boring
nights trying to finish a school project for a rude professor.  For some
reason, Ruby does the same thing to me.  It must be all the $ and @ signs.
Python on the other hand does not create such bad feelings in me :-)  I
know, this does not make for a good reason for why someone should choose
Python over Perl and Ruby.  But what do I care!  This whole 'choice thing'
based on 'pure object oriented' feelings seems to work just fine with me :-)
DeepBleu