OT: Crazy Programming

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Sun May 19 22:29:10 EDT 2002

Quoth "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com>:
| But we have no way to distinguish between physical properties and social
| interactions, since the only ways we can communicate involve agreement about
| the ground-rules. It is, for example, very difficult to engage in
| philosophical discussions with a determined solipsist, who sees all
| perceptions as generated by the operation of her own senses - that is,
| "objective reality" is produced by the operation of the human brain.
| Therefore you are, to a solipsist, simply a manifestation of their own
| thought processes, and have no objective (i.e. external) reality atr all.
| Our ignorance is absolute. We can only agree to agree, or to disagree. And
| no matter how much we agree, this does not affect the nature of "objective
| reality", which we can never perceive directly.

Oh, stuff.  If you suppose that there's some objective reality, then
surely you got the idea from various compelling evidences of its existence.
This experience is the operation of your senses, for sure, but it's still
what you know as objective reality.  You don't have any reason to believe
there's anything else more real than this, unless you want to be mystical.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com