proto-PEPs: __bind__ and __return__?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sun May 19 15:25:10 EDT 2002

"James T. Dennis" <jadestar at idiom.com> wrote ...

>  I think this is only to open a can of flameworms but I just
>  have to compose the idea and let the forum shred it.
>
>  The = operator in Python bothers me.  We have so little
>  control over it.  We can't overload it.

Rubbish. What's __setattr__() for? You perhaps mean "we can onbly overlaod
it for objects we define ourselves", but in that case you need to look more
closely at the type/object unification that's currently taking place.

[ ... ]
>  I hope that makes sense.  (BTW: I hypothesized an "unbound()"
>  function whose intent should be obvious --- I suppose it could
>  be implemented with enough knowlege of the scoping rules by
>  searching globals() and locals() and ???

Makes no sense to me, but I am by no means the final arbiter of what's
Pythonic and what's not.

regards
 Steve
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/